Mastering the Art of Negotiation
Course id: 239
Duration: 3 days/ 4 H per day
Many people often think of meeting rooms, suits, and million dollar deals when they hear the word “negotiation”. The truth is that we negotiate all the time. For example, have you ever…
- Decided where to eat with a group of friends?
- Decided on routine assignments with your family?
- Asked your boss for a raise?
These are all situations that involve negotiating!
This course will give participants an understanding of the phases of negotiation, tools to use during a negotiation, and ways to build win-win solutions for all those involved.
Anyone who is keen to improve negotiation skills at work or life.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the basic types of negotiations, the phases of negotiations, and the skills needed for successful negotiating
- Understand and apply basic negotiating concepts: WATNA and BATNA
- Lay the groundwork for negotiation
- Identify what information to share and what to keep to yourself
- Understand basic bargaining techniques
- Apply strategies for identifying mutual gain
- Understand how to reach consensus and set the terms of agreement
- Deal with personal attacks and other difficult issues
- Use the negotiating process to solve everyday problems
- Negotiate on behalf of someone else
- Introduction and course objective
- Understanding Negotiation
- The Three phases
- Skills for Successful Negotiation
- Getting Prepared
- Establish your WATNA and BATNA
- Personal Preparation
- Laying the Ground for Negotiation
- Setting the time and place
- Establishing common grounds
- Creating a negotiation framework
- The negotiation Process
Phase One - Exchanging Information
- Getting off on the Right Foot
- What to Share
- What to keep for yourself
Phase Two - Bargaining
- What to expect
- Techniques to Try
- How to Break an Impasse (Roadblocks!)
What is a Mutual Gain
- Three Ways to See Your Options
- What is Mutual Gain
- What Do I Want?
- What Do They Want?
Phase Three – Closing
- Reaching Consensus
- Building an Agreement
- Setting the Terms of the Agreement
Dealing with Difficult Issues
- Being Prepared for Environmental Tactics
- Dealing with Personal Attacks
- Controlling Emotions
- Deciding When It’s Time to Walk Away!
Negotiating Outside Meeting Rooms
Adapting the Process for Smaller Negotiations
Negotiating via Telephone
Negotiating via Email
Negotiating on Behalf of Someone Else
Choosing the Negotiating Team
Cover all the basis
Dealing with Tough Questions
Wrapping up and team presentations